Matt’s principal area of practice is complex class action, and is a specialized civil litigation attorney in Los Angeles. Throughout his career, Matt has successfully represented clients throughout the country against a virtual whos who of American corporations, prosecuting class action cases on a wide variety of legal issues, including consumer fraud, wage and hour, product liability and civil rights. Matt has also played a leading role in several successful class action appeals, including the published decisions in Johnson v. GlaxoSmithKline, Inc., 166 Cal. App. 4th 1497 (2008) and Goldstein v. Ralphs Grocery Co., 122 Cal. App. 4th 229, 230 (2004), and has been appointed to the steering committees in several notable cases, including In re Katrina Canal Breaches Consolidated Litigation, In re Family Dollar FLSA Litigation and In re Park West Galleries Marketing And Sales Practices Litigation.
Matt also serves on the Amicus Committee of the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), a voluntary membership organization representing approximately 6,000 associated attorneys practicing throughout California. In that capacity, he has authored amicus letters and briefs in various wage and hour cases pending before the California Supreme Court, including Kirby v. Immoos Fire Protection, Inc., Case No. S185827; Lamps Plus Overtime Cases, Case No. S194064; Hernandez v. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., Case No. S188755; and Tien v. Tenet Healthcare Corp., Case No. S191756
Matt has also published multiple articles on class action issues, including:
- In re Tobacco II Cases almost one year later: A boon for California consumers, or a bust?, Advocate Magazine (February, 2010);
- May Meal and Rest Period Claims Be Certified in a Post-Brinker World?, Employment Law Strategist (Volume 17, No. 10, February 2010);
- Class Notice in the Electronic Age, California Lawyer (Nov., 2009);
- Objection Detection, Los Angeles Daily Journal (Sep. 04, 2009);
- The Scope of Class Restitution in the Wake of In Re Tobacco II Cases, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Class Actions, Vol. 9, #14 (Sept. 17, 2009).
Matt has joined forces with Dylan Pollard to become Los Angeles personal injury lawyers at their law firm Pollard | Bailey located in Beverly Hills. Prior to joining forces, Matt served as co-chair of the class action practice group at a mid-sized law firm in downtown Los Angeles.
- State Courts
- Federal Courts
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals